One thing I have learned this year already is that a lot of the animal healers just want to get together and help each other help the pets. Its not a competition per se. We’ve been on Twitter now since December and I have to say I have met the most interesting people. As you have read, animal reiki allows us to communicate with pets too. But here’s an Animal Communicator. She gave me permission to share her latest blog as I like to write about watching Sammy Diva age. She will be 9 this year and she still gets regular reiki on her hips. Please enjoy Janet Roper’s blog: Check her out at http://talk2theanimals.net/
Our Aging Animals
The other night my 15-year-old dog Teddy started pacing, a very unusual behavior for him. He simply could not get comfortable – he tried the couch, his kennel and his favorite place, under the bed. He would stay for a few minutes, then get back up and pace. He carried his tail between his legs, which is very unusual for him as Teddy is quite proud of his tail. However, he was eating, drinking and eliminating, all good signs.
He is on Metacam for his hips, thyroid medication, he has fatty lumps, his eyes are beginning to cloud up and his hearing is not what it used to be. He’s been on Nutri Source’s Senior Dog Food for quite a few years.
It’s hard for me to admit that Teddy, my 15-year-old perpetual-con-artist-puppy is a senior citizen and is aging.
With the excellent care our animals receive, they are living longer, meaning that we have more senior animals. Instead of simply being a dog that is kept outside, our pets are now valued family members.
- A wellness check with your pet’s vet will find problems early on, allowing treatment to start before the problem becomes serious.
- Age appropriate exercise will help keep joints mobile and help your pet maintain a good frame of mind.
- Nutritional needs change as your pet ages. Check with your pet’s medical care practitioner for recommended diet.
- Dental care promotes good general health.
- Alternative practices such as acupuncture , healing touch and reiki can do a lot to keep you pet’s systems balanced.
If you have any tips about life with a senior pet and how to care for them, let us know! I will keep you posted on how Teddy fairs.